Sunday, July 18, 2010

Happy Endings - Animal Rescue League BBQ, American Dog

Today we visited with the Animal Rescue League volunteers and employees at their "Happy Endings" BBQ to celebrate successful adoptions and fundraise for their charity.  We met some great puppy parents and some really awesome dogs.  Which got me thinking.

Just like interactions with humans, isn't it the small stuff that we really love and, sadly, miss when a pet passes on? 

So isn't it the small stuff that is really important to celebrate and note? 

With that notion in mind, I am going to try something new on this blog which I am going to call "American Dog" which in my mind is going to be Ira Glass (This American Life - PBS) meets Jack William's Wednesday's Child (children for adoption in the Boston area) meets John Steinbeck's Travels with Charlie (which is, no surprise, one of my favorite novels).  Although I will never be in the Ira, Jack, and John's league, it doesn't mean I can't give it a try to see if you enjoy it.

This is sort of an ambitious undertaking but I am going to give it a try because there are a lot of wonderful dogs out there with touching little stories that we can all enjoy.  And, quite frankly, there is a shortage of material out there that a family can enjoy together.  If you haven't noticed, I don't allow anything on my website, Facebook site or blog that isn't fit for family consumption. 

Perhaps an American Dog story will inspire you to write us with your American Dog story to feature on this blog.  I invite rescues to send me stories and pictures with American Dogs, each with their own story that we can periodically feature on this blog.  American Dog stories will start on Wednesday, July 22.  Let me know what you think by dropping me a comment. 

Until then, meet Hercules, a Boston Terrier at the Animal Rescue League.  He is a happy guy who likes a good belly rub.  When I met him he was play wrestling in the ARL dog park with a dog twice his size and weight.  Hercules seemed nonplussed by his sumo sized rival.  He reveled in the moment.  Hercules looked like he was a natural in front of the camera and enjoyed having his picture taken.  What a handsome boy.

From Fans of Fenway Bark - Outreach

No comments:

Post a Comment